Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pizza! Pizza!

I have always used frozen pizza dough or a pre-made crust and canned or jarred pizza sauce to make my own homemade pizza.  I know, it's so unlike me!  Well after seeing this recipe in the February 2012 issue of Better Homes and Gardens I made myself make my own homemade dough and sauce.  I've been kicking myself ever since. How much time and money have I wasted buying the ingredients for pizza when it is sooooo easy to make it at home!


really good homemade pizza
is so easy to make!
First I made the dough.I used my mixer and didn't need to add any extra flour or water.  After letting the dough sit for 30 minutes, I divided it into four sections.  I took three and wrapped them up and froze them for later.  It says in the directions to refrigerate the dough overnight.  I was having pizza for dinner that night, so I just left it out.  I did not find that the dough doubled in size at all.  It puffed up a bit after a while and I punched it down to let it rise again.  But it never really doubled. Maybe if I had put it in the fridge... but I really didn't think that it affected the outcome.


I made the sauce according to the directions except instead of garlic powder, I used raw garlic.  I tasted the sauce and thought 'hmm, where is the flavor?'  So I added an extra 1/2 t basil, oregano, thyme and 1/4 t pepper.  Now I had sauce!  


The dough was easy to roll out and the pizza was easy to assemble.  Overall, so simple, so easy and so tasty!  My husband and son really liked it a lot.  If you make it at home, let me know what you think of the sauce and if you added more flavor to it.  I'll let you know how the defrosted dough turns out!


Scroll down through the Pizza article to get to the All-Purpose Sauce and All-Purpose Dough recipes.  Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Homemade dough ! You are outdoing me, hmmm. I guess I will have to get the Kitchenaid stand mixer. I'm glad you put extra oregano in the sauce. Oregano is the essential ingredient for pizza, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. The more oregano, the better!

    ReplyDelete