Monday, January 23, 2012

Hoisin Pork Roast

Thursday's swim class was approaching and I wanted to find another crock pot recipe to use. I went back to Martha's web site and searched for crock pot recipes but didn't see one I was interested in.  So I went to my favorite, rachaelraymag.com and found this recipe.  

I was a bit skeptical about the recipe, Asian cuisine is not typically one of my favorites, but it called for cilantro and I had some in the fridge that needed to be used.

I mixed the ingredients together, using hoisin sauce and not the duck sauce.  I also used powdered ginger instead of fresh.  I was beginning to worry about the sodium content of this recipe with all the prepared sauces that it called for, but I had already started to make it and there was no turning back.  I cut the recipe in half (as usual) and set in in the crock pot to cook on high for three hours.  I made basmati rice and chopped the cilantro and scallions before I left for swim.
yum?

When I got home, I took the pork out of the crock pot to let it rest and it was a little more cooked than the picture on the recipe page.  So I decided to shred it and mix it into the sauce and have a sort of Asian pulled pork.  I was going to add the cilantro and scallions to the rice and serve the pork over it, but I just mixed everything together.  I also added some sauteed red cabbage too.

pulled pork, Asian style
The result was very good.  It was not overly salty and I really liked the shredded pork and rice mixed together.  I think that I would make hoisin pork roast again.





No comments:

Post a Comment