Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Crustless Leek Quiche

my quiche didn't look this good
The recipe for Crustless Leek Quiche was in last month's Everyday with Rachael Ray and (since I'm trying to make more meat-less dishes) I thought it would be a good dinner when paired with a hearty salad.  


I did not follow this recipe exactly, I kind of just loosely followed it.  First, I thought that four leeks was really a lot. I used one and a half leeks and that seemed to be plenty.  Also, I decided to use up the last of my mushrooms and sauteed them along with the leeks.  I omitted the goat cheese for two reasons: a) I can never seem to taste cheese when it is baked in an egg dish and b) I didn't have any. I just used skim milk instead of the heavy cream and milk.  I didn't have scallions, so I sprinkled some of the dark green leek steams on top. Did I mention that I didn't follow this recipe exactly?


Even though its not exactly the same I think that it turned out really well.  My husband told me he really liked it a lot.  Baby Gordy seemed to like it a lot too. The leek flavor was a delicious combination with the egg.  I liked the little bit of mushroom in it as well.  It was quick to prepare and came out well although the cheese on top didn't really melt too well.  Maybe I should have left it in the oven longer but my rush to get dinner on the table prevented that from happening.  There were also varying opinions about the Brie on top.  My husband loved the Brie, loved it.  My mother, on the other hand, didn't think that the Brie complimented the quiche well.  I think that when I make it again I would leave the Brie out.  And maybe when I make it again, I would actually follow the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment