As I was re-reading last month's issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray I came across this recipe. It had only three ingredients: butter, heavy cream, and self rising flour. I'm not joking when I say that I had been thinking "what am I going to do with all that heavy cream and self rising flour that I have?" I bought the items for other recipes and only used a bit and now they were just waiting to be used again.
I poured the cup of heavy cream into the flour and started to mix. And mix. And mix. The two were not combining. So I added the rest of the cream (another 1/2 cup) and it was still too dry. So then I got out the skim milk and just poured some in. And wouldn't you know it, it was too wet. So then I had to add more flour, about a 1/4 cup, and it was fine.
I put the dough down on a floured counter and patted it into a rectangle, then folded it in half. Pat, fold, pat, fold. So easy. Took out my brand new biscuit cutters, which were also waiting to be used, and made 14 biscuits. When it came down to the last biscuit, I just put the dough inside the cutter to make the round shape. I used the melted butter to grease my cake and pie pans and then brushed the tops of the biscuits with the rest. They baked up so quickly and were delicious. You can not even compare these to the ones that come out of the can. Those don't even taste like a real biscuit. While making these I thought, "these are the kind of biscuits Paula Deen would be proud of."
This was worth the extra adding of cream, then milk, then flour to get the consistency right. I froze the leftover biscuits for next time. (Next time actually came already and they defrosted so easily and still tasted great!)
Two dough covered thumbs up!
Easy, delicious, homemade biscuits
oh how i do hope you make these again, and that it coincides with my next visit... :)
ReplyDelete